POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : District 9 (minor spoilers) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  District 9 (minor spoilers) (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: District 9 (minor spoilers)
Date: 26 Jan 2010 14:31:51
Message: <4b5f4327$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/26/2010 6:48 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On the other hand, horror films are extremely popular, so apparently
> some people like getting scared stupid. And I can't help noticing that
> all of the most celebrated works of storytelling that mankind has ever
> produced are tragedies. So apparently I'm just weird...
I think the correct designation here is probably that you have to be
stupid to be scared by horror movies (or at least badly confused about
reality and what is plausible). My mother, for example, may have some
odd dreams after watching one, but she laughs her ass off while actually
*watching* the thing, due to how absurd the movie is. I don't go that
far, but scared? Give me a fracking break. At bare minimum, almost no
one in the average horror movie is worth being scared *for*, never mind
scared *of*.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Warp
Date: 26 Jan 2010 15:24:01
Message: <4b5f4f61@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> I think the correct designation here is probably that you have to be
> stupid to be scared by horror movies (or at least badly confused about
> reality and what is plausible).

  No. It's called willing suspension of disbelief. People do it for
entertainment purposes.

  I like tense scenes in movies. For example some of the scenes in
"I Am Legend" were pretty tense, and thus cool. Also, when I watched
"The Grudge" some time ago, it also had pretty tense moments.

  Of course I let myself *willingly* get immersed in the movie to get
those tense feelings. It's not like I would be unable to take it all as
a silly joke, but if I rent a horror or thriller movie, I *want* those
feelings. A movie which succeeds in giving me those feelings is a good
movie.

  Now, are you calling *me* stupid because of that?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 26 Jan 2010 16:12:31
Message: <4b5f5abf@news.povray.org>
>> On the other hand, horror films are extremely popular, so apparently
>> some people like getting scared stupid.

> I think the correct designation here is probably that you have to be
> stupid to be scared by horror movies.

Depends which movie.

I watched one of the Nightmare on Elm Street films, and it was indeed
laughable. Nobody gushes 47 gallons of scarlet paint when cut open.
Especially not over the ceiling. (I'm *also* reasonably sure you can't
actually scream with a fist of blades extending out of your lungs...)

On the other hand, watch Aliens. Sure, it's fantasy. It's not real. It
couldn't happen. Logically it doesn't even make a lot of sense for a
creature to exist for the sole purpose of killing things. But it's
pretty God-damned terrifying all the same...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 26 Jan 2010 19:27:09
Message: <4b5f885d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Depends which movie.

"Alien" the first was the only movie that ever bothered me once I'd left the
building. Granted, I was like in 7th grade or something walking home at
night after the movie...

"The Grudge" was the only other horror movie I found even slightly
disturbing, even in the theatre.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 26 Jan 2010 22:04:03
Message: <4b5fad23$1@news.povray.org>
Best film of the year, IMO.  But I haven't seen them all yet.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 26 Jan 2010 22:09:14
Message: <4b5fae5a@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> I don't remember seeing
> even one effects shot that was unnecessary or for its own sake.

Even the pig cannon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUhoBvS_Kw

:) :) :) :) :)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 27 Jan 2010 01:03:42
Message: <4b5fd73e$1@news.povray.org>
> Best film of the year, IMO.  But I haven't seen them all yet.

Dunno, I didn't enjoy District 9 at all. To me it felt like a
cross between Half Life, and a bad Monty Python sketch.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 27 Jan 2010 04:47:56
Message: <4b600bcc$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> "Alien" the first was the only movie that ever bothered me once I'd left
> the building. Granted, I was like in 7th grade or something walking home
> at night after the movie...
>
> "The Grudge" was the only other horror movie I found even slightly
> disturbing, even in the theatre.

Hello. My name is Andrew. I feel intimidated when people in the street
look at me the wrong way. (To the point that I routinely walk around
trying not to look at people so I won't make them angry.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Jan 2010 13:15:00
Message: <web.4b608207e932f17165f302820@news.povray.org>
Chambers <Ben### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:
> > I don't remember seeing
> > even one effects shot that was unnecessary or for its own sake.
>
> Even the pig cannon?

I didn't even grasp what that pig cannon was all about, it went by so fast. :-/
I remember thinking, "What the hell *was* that?" A very bizarre (and thankfully
short) interlude. (Although, somewhere in the story, mention *was* made of using
pigs as subjects for testing weaponry. Rather cold-hearted--but probably true in
RL, sad to say!  So perhaps this was another little piece of social
commentary--a pig getting back at its tormentor, by being 'used' as a weapon!)

Ken

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 27 Jan 2010 23:55:45
Message: <4b6118d1$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> I didn't even grasp what that pig cannon was all about, it went by so fast. :-/
> I remember thinking, "What the hell *was* that?" A very bizarre (and thankfully
> short) interlude. (Although, somewhere in the story, mention *was* made of using
> pigs as subjects for testing weaponry. Rather cold-hearted--but probably true in
> RL, sad to say!  So perhaps this was another little piece of social
> commentary--a pig getting back at its tormentor, by being 'used' as a weapon!)

Pigs are often used as "human analogs," because of their similarity to
humans.

But I suspect this was more a tribute to Peter Jackson's early humour,
such as the rocket sheep from "Bad Taste" :)

...Chambers