POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Dimensions (Message 31 to 40 of 105)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Dimensions
Date: 12 Jan 2010 17:14:12
Message: <4b4cf434$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:

> I thought the underlying assumption in this thread was that we're
> dealing spaces equipped with a metric tensor, do you automatically get a
> definition of distance in the standard manner.  How does this require
> extra care to define?
>
> I suppose you could argue that circles are a bit trickier to define, but
> I think the normal one will work well, and should even be well-behaved
> on genus-0 manifolds, or locally on any smooth manifold (like spherical
> or hyperbolic spaces).

That's a whole crapload of jargon, right there.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Jan 2010 17:18:07
Message: <4b4cf51f$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Any possible line segment in elliptic geometry can be used as a circle
> diammeter. (Since lines that are "too large" to define a circle won't
> fit into the space in the first place.)

Yes, obviously, so long as you don't define line segments so that a line
is allowed to overlap with itself.  But I defined xyz as a function of
the *radius* of a circle, not as a function over line segments.
Defining circles so that they work for all radii under this definition
requires a touch more care (although it is possible).

Post a reply to this message