POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:52:59 EDT (-0400)
  Dimensions (Message 26 to 35 of 105)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Dimensions
Date: 12 Jan 2010 16:52:03
Message: <4b4cef03$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its
>>> diameter?
>>
>> Define "circle".
>
> The set of all points at distance r from the point c.
>
>> Now define "distance".
>
> I actually can't find a definition for how to do this in a non-Euclidean
> space.

Oh, I forgot. Now you have to also define the length of a curved line with
no endpoints. :)

> Well, yes... I'm sure somebody somewhere has long since worked all this
> out in excruciating detail. ;-)

Well, yes.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 12 Jan 2010 16:56:17
Message: <4b4cf001$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> What about xyz = the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?

The main problem here is that xyz is not a constant, but is rather a
function.  In spherical and hyperbolic spaces it can be defined as a
function of the radius so you need to say something like:

xyz(r) = the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle of
radius r

If your space doesn't have a constant curvature, then it's a function of
yet more parameters.

The main issue isn't only that pi has a pre-existing meaning, it's that
the value in these non-euclidean spaces isn't even a constant.

Post a reply to this message