POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Should private schools be banned? (Message 11 to 20 of 136)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Should private schools be banned?
Date: 24 Dec 2009 20:42:13
Message: <4b341875$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 24-12-2009 23:43, Warp wrote:

>>   I don't even know if there are private schools in Finland. Even if
>> there
>> are, they aren't really part of the Finnish culture or society. It's kind
>> of given that everybody goes to regular school.
>
> Then you don't know what it is to live in a country where almost the
> entire elite is recruited from a few schools that are only open to the
> elite. I don't live in such a system either, hence my reluctance to
> interpret any comment from a British citizen about his own system as
> mainly jealousy.

You got it :) ;)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 25 Dec 2009 08:26:51
Message: <4b34bd9b$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> Warp wrote:

> >   It still sounds to me like "rich people shouldn't get privileges just
> > because they have more money, that's unfair". The word jealousy comes to
> > mind.

> The general reaction I've observed from people in the US about this
> whole healthcare debacle also boils down to "what's in it for ME?

That's a very, possibly the only, legitimate question.

> Humans, eh?

Yes, *humans*. Not the Borg.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 25 Dec 2009 09:55:33
Message: <4B34D260.6040204@hotmail.com>
On 25-12-2009 14:27, somebody wrote:
> "Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>> Warp wrote:
>
>>>   It still sounds to me like "rich people shouldn't get privileges just
>>> because they have more money, that's unfair". The word jealousy comes to
>>> mind.
>
>> The general reaction I've observed from people in the US about this
>> whole healthcare debacle also boils down to "what's in it for ME?
>
> That's a very, possibly the only, legitimate question.

Only in the US, on this side of the Atlantic things are different*.
Besides we take that 'ME' a bit wider, including more complicated
concepts like: If health care improves for a group I do not belong to
now, do I know people who do and might I one day be part of that group?
Indeed that Buxton index at work again.

* strangly often for religious reasons, but that is a different story.

Post a reply to this message

"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:4B3### [at] hotmailcom...
> On 25-12-2009 14:27, somebody wrote:
> > "Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> >> The general reaction I've observed from people in the US about this
> >> whole healthcare debacle also boils down to "what's in it for ME?
> >
> > That's a very, possibly the only, legitimate question.

> Only in the US, on this side of the Atlantic things are different*.
> Besides we take that 'ME' a bit wider, including more complicated
> concepts like: If health care improves for a group I do not belong to
> now, do I know people who do and might I one day be part of that group?

That's still *me*. Do not make the all too common mistake of assuming "me"
stands for "shortsided", or worse, "self destructive". Now, different
peoples have different projections for the future, and that's normal. Maybe
Europeans are more pessimistic about their futures than Americans, or maybe
Americans think such long term plans have too much uncertainity in them to
plan for, or maybe they prefer to invest their money the way they like it to
take care of possible future hardships, I don't know - although the latter
would be mainly my stance, for instance. But differences in opinion result
from not one side being more selfless or more selfish, but from initial
conditions and situations being different. What works for Finand will not
work for USA, and vice versa, for any number of
socio/economic/political/geographical/natural-resourse/...etc reasons.

In any case, modern economies and government are based on the expectation
that people wish to maximize the benefit to themselves, even though,
naturally, there won't be a single strategy that fits all. Democracy and
capitalism will take care of finding compromises that somewhat satisfies
significant numbers of people each with selfish goals, although the
"solutions" may be far from optimal, from an irrational point of view.

When you ask people to make unselfish decisions, and, worse, when you assume
they will do so, you can expect nothing but utter failure. Climate accords
will fail spectacularly for this simple reason. Humans are too rational to
"fall for" maximizing benefit to all to their own detriment.

Post a reply to this message

> "andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> news:4B3### [at] hotmailcom...
>> On 25-12-2009 14:27, somebody wrote:
>>> "Tim Cook" <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> just
>>> That's a very, possibly the only, legitimate question.
>
>> Only in the US, on this side of the Atlantic things are different*.
>> Besides we take that 'ME' a bit wider, including more complicated
>> concepts like: If health care improves for a group I do not belong to
>> now, do I know people who do and might I one day be part of that group?
>
> That's still *me*. Do not make the all too common mistake of assuming "me"
> stands for "shortsided", or worse, "self destructive".

I don't, that is why I referred to the Buxton index.

> Now, different
> peoples have different projections for the future, and that's normal. Maybe
> Europeans are more pessimistic about their futures than Americans, or maybe
> Americans think such long term plans have too much uncertainity in them to
> plan for, or maybe they prefer to invest their money the way they like it to
> take care of possible future hardships, I don't know - although the latter
> would be mainly my stance, for instance. But differences in opinion result
> from not one side being more selfless or more selfish, but from initial
> conditions and situations being different. What works for Finand will not
> work for USA, and vice versa, for any number of
> socio/economic/political/geographical/natural-resourse/...etc reasons.
>
> In any case, modern economies and government are based on the expectation
> that people wish to maximize the benefit to themselves, even though,
> naturally, there won't be a single strategy that fits all. Democracy and
> capitalism will take care of finding compromises that somewhat satisfies
> significant numbers of people each with selfish goals, although the
> "solutions" may be far from optimal, from an irrational point of view.
>
> When you ask people to make unselfish decisions, and, worse, when you assume
> they will do so, you can expect nothing but utter failure. Climate accords
> will fail spectacularly for this simple reason.

In the case of the ozone hole they seem to be working however.

> Humans are too rational to
> "fall for" maximizing benefit to all to their own detriment.

Again you should replace 'humans' with 'US citizens'. You'd be surprised
how many people think different all over the globe. Don't make the
mistake that because all humans you know think in a certain way that
will be the case for all humans.

Post a reply to this message

"andrel" <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:4B3### [at] hotmailcom...

> > When you ask people to make unselfish decisions, and, worse, when you
assume
> > they will do so, you can expect nothing but utter failure. Climate
accords
> > will fail spectacularly for this simple reason.

> In the case of the ozone hole they seem to be working however.

It was a trivial situation compared to greenhouse emissions, did not
noticably affect ordinary people, and maybe more importantly, with expired
patents on CFCs and a fresh market to sell alternatives, chemical industry
supported CFC phase out.

Post a reply to this message