POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? : Re: Should private schools be banned? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Should private schools be banned?
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 26 Dec 2009 23:57:32
Message: <4b36e93c$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 25-12-2009 21:20, somebody wrote:
>> Humans are too rational to
>> "fall for" maximizing benefit to all to their own detriment.
>
> Again you should replace 'humans' with 'US citizens'. You'd be surprised
> how many people think different all over the globe. Don't make the
> mistake that because all humans you know think in a certain way that
> will be the case for all humans.

Not even with 'US citizens' as I have seen people in the USA "fall for"
that. Other things they "fall for":

Benefit of a group they hope to one day be a part of, but to own
detriment now.
Benefit of all by detriment to most.
Benefit to group they feel sorry for, but detriment to self.
Benefit to self, but detriment to group they dislike.

Face it, no individual is 'too rational' to 'fall for' something, all
the time. People are going to do things I disagree with, for reasons
that I will find irrational. I am sure that applies for all values of
'I' and 'people'.