POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Project Blender (Message 69 to 78 of 78)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Project Blender
Date: 18 Dec 2009 17:56:03
Message: <4b2c0883@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> I can't think of any programmer that uses something like Notepad to
>> write code.
>
> {...Shuffles back into the corner...}

I know of lots of other types like Andrew who enjoy being miserable
while editing code.

Post a reply to this message

From: somebody
Date: 18 Dec 2009 18:57:48
Message: <4b2c16fc$1@news.povray.org>
"Neeum Zawan" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
> On 12/18/09 01:32, scott wrote:

> Somehow, I've never been sympathetic to this kind of complaint. Maybe
> I'm an "old fart" (who's not that old in age) who remembers the time
> when this was not the default behavior of apps.

It's not a matter of liking this or that. I'm not crazy about driving on the
right or 110V. And it was a bad old time when software did not follow UI
standards - I don't remember having to learn hundereds of different and
incompatible key combinations fondly. Standards are, most of the time,
somewhat arbitrarily established. But them's the standards, and makes life
easier for all if followed.

> From my perspective, the question isn't "Does this conform to the
> Windows interface standard (which may not be that great)?" but "Is it
> really hard to learn?"

Yes it is, and it's hard to retain, when everybody else follows a standard.
If one's life revolves around Blender, that's different, but many
professionals and amateurs alike use several different applications to get
their work done. Switching between them is no fun when they all implement
arbitrary interfaces and try to be overly clever or cute.

> and "Is their choice of deviating from the
> standard efficient?"

No, hardly. No matter how efficient or consistent Esperanto may be, if you
speak Esperanto on your establishment and everybody in the country speaks
English, it's not efficient when you consider the big picture, even if it
might be efficient for those who never leave the office.

Post a reply to this message

"nemesis" <nam### [at] nospam-gmailcom> wrote in message
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> > Darren New wrote:

> >> I can't think of any programmer that uses something like Notepad to
> >> write code.

> > {...Shuffles back into the corner...}

> I know of lots of other types like Andrew who enjoy being miserable
> while editing code.

I think he enjoys being miserable.

Post a reply to this message

>>> {...Shuffles back into the corner...}
>
>> I know of lots of other types like Andrew who enjoy being miserable
>> while editing code.
>
> I think he enjoys being miserable.

Or rather, sometimes Notepad is the only thing installed. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/