POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender : Re: Project Blender Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Blender
From: andrel
Date: 20 Dec 2009 16:17:29
Message: <4B2E9466.206@hotmail.com>
On 18-12-2009 21:45, Darren New wrote:
> nemesis wrote:
>> No need for sarcasm, they are obviously tackling common complaints.
>
> Only because earlier it sounded like some Blender aficionados were
> arguing that anyone complaining is just a whiner and it's really not a
> problem after all. I might have been reading into it. :-)

You might ;)
I have been using blender for some time now and I never complained, I
think. For me it does not matter much if something is intuitive or not,
if it is, the key bindings will become reflexes in two weeks, if not:
three. What is the point if you are using it for many years? And yes I
am using the hardcoded alt-mouse movements to turn my 3D objects in
Marlab and that invariably fails.

Ok, that is not completely true. It was my second attempt. First one
failed because I couldn't get long enough motivated. Partly because of
the UI and partly because 3D sculpting is inherently difficult with a
lot of knowledge that got into it to make it simpler. E.g. an edge loop
was not something I was familiar with before that. The main reason,
however, was of course that I did not need it, it was just for fun.
Second time I really needed a 3D mesh manipulation tool.

So, If you need 3D modelling, Blender is OK, with this or a better UI.
If you want to attract a new group of users, changing the UI to comply
to standards developed after the first implementations of Blenders
ancestors is a good idea.