POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender : Re: Project Blender Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Blender
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 19 Dec 2009 11:23:09
Message: <4b2cfded$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/18/09 17:58, somebody wrote:
>> Somehow, I've never been sympathetic to this kind of complaint. Maybe
>> I'm an "old fart" (who's not that old in age) who remembers the time
>> when this was not the default behavior of apps.
>
> It's not a matter of liking this or that. I'm not crazy about driving on the
> right or 110V. And it was a bad old time when software did not follow UI
> standards - I don't remember having to learn hundereds of different and
> incompatible key combinations fondly. Standards are, most of the time,
> somewhat arbitrarily established. But them's the standards, and makes life
> easier for all if followed.

	None of which is disputed. I'd just add a sentence: "Sometimes life is
made easier if a standard isn't followed".

>>  From my perspective, the question isn't "Does this conform to the
>> Windows interface standard (which may not be that great)?" but "Is it
>> really hard to learn?"
>
> Yes it is, and it's hard to retain, when everybody else follows a standard.

	Not monolithically. Blender's may suck, but I refuse to take as an
axiom that all such apps that don't follow some aspect of the standard
make learning difficult.

	Here's a hint: In many games, the right mouse button has nothing to do
with menus. Few complain about them being hard to learn.

> If one's life revolves around Blender, that's different, but many

	I wasn't talking about Blender.

>> and "Is their choice of deviating from the
>> standard efficient?"
>
> No, hardly. No matter how efficient or consistent Esperanto may be, if you
> speak Esperanto on your establishment and everybody in the country speaks
> English, it's not efficient when you consider the big picture, even if it
> might be efficient for those who never leave the office.

	Let's not jump to extremes. Learning another language is much more
difficult than small deviations from the standard.

--
Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember, it didn't help
the rabbit.