POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Blender Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Project Blender (Message 11 to 20 of 78)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Project Blender
Date: 17 Dec 2009 12:07:59
Message: <4b2a656f@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> Well, I don't know. All the other 3D modellers have their quirks, but in
> all of them, once you've selected the right mode, clicking on a point
> and dragging it makes it move. (And also any edges and faces associated
> with it, obviously.) In Blender, this basic operation doesn't seem to
> work...

click with LMB and drag it around while holding LMB.  I don't know if
this can be changed, never bothered to find out because it seems just ok
to me.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 17 Dec 2009 12:15:28
Message: <4b2a6730$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> There's no way you can learn this program just by playing with it.
>>
>>     I'd suspect quite the opposite. I've heard the only way to learn
>> is total immersion - via numerous tutorials. Then you keep working on
>> Blender building whatever you wanted, and don't ever take a 2 week
>> break.<G>
>>
>>     Reading isn't going to make the keybindings/interface stick. Using
>> them a lot (tutorials) will.
>
> I think knowing the logic behind the interface (assuming there *is*
> some) will probably help a lot. But sure, if you want to become _expert_
> you're going to need to practise a lot. Currently I just can't make it
> to *anything* interesting, because the UI is getting in the way too much.

Heck. I tried following a tutorial *twice*, just to recreate the
identical object, and got lost *twice* at one of the steps, resulting in
an error that was nearly unrecoverable. I agree, the program needs a
*little* bit of a rethink on some of its parts, especially in trying to
differentiate between stuff you do in the actual texture/UV window, and
all the damn settings "for" that, which are plastered every place else,
but which are not used in actually setting up any of the textures/UV
settings, when initially applying them. And that is just the start of
the mess (but a critical one, for what I was trying to get done).

Oh, and what is it with applications that can "unwrap" a mesh to a UV
map, but do so either using an ugly form that you can't be precise with
(since all the surfaces have curves that prevent it), or a completely
flat one, where you can't tell what surface you are *actually* looking
at? lol Got to be a better way to do that, even if its just "let me
paint some basic colors on this damn thing, then export the mesh *with*
the colors, so I can tell what the hell I am doing."

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();