POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Geometric puzzle (Message 122 to 131 of 201)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Geometric puzzle
Date: 17 Dec 2009 07:11:17
Message: <4b2a1fe5@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Sure. I was just wondering, since Blender doesn't do anything a GPU
>> can't do, whether there's some way to use GPU acceleration, that's all.
>
> You mean the Blender internal renderer?  Umm, that's a fully-fledged
> raytracer with multiple reflections/refractions, ray traced shadows,
> ambient occlusion, all that stuff etc, as you will know from the POV/GPU
> discussion these things are quite hard to do on a GPU, if possible at all.

It's possible, sure.  This guy ported a small path tracing
implementation to OpenCL:

http://vimeo.com/8013005

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 17 Dec 2009 07:13:13
Message: <4b2a2059$1@news.povray.org>
> I thought ambient occlusion (as opposed to other GI algorithms) was
> specifically suited to GPU implementation?

There's a variety of ways to implement AO, it just so happens someone
developed a clever way to approximate AO very quickly on the GPU.
Raytracers typically use a different method to compute AO that is not
possible (or would be very slow/tricky) on GPUs.

> Anyway, I just thought if you weren't using ray tracing, it ought to be
> possibly to run on the GPU. I guess not...

If you're not using any features of the ray tracer then isn't what you see
in the edit view good enough?

> (What's the point of a ray tracer in a product that only renders
> triangles?)

Ermm, physically correct multi-level reflections and refractions, more
accurate GI, better AA, more accurate shadows, basically all the benefits of
a raytracer rendering shapes other than triangles.

Post a reply to this message

>> I thought ambient occlusion (as opposed to other GI algorithms) was
>> specifically suited to GPU implementation?
>
> There's a variety of ways to implement AO, it just so happens someone
> developed a clever way to approximate AO very quickly on the GPU.
> Raytracers typically use a different method to compute AO that is not
> possible (or would be very slow/tricky) on GPUs.

I thought the entire definition of AO is that it's a rough approximation
to true GI that's useful because it renders really fast?

>> Anyway, I just thought if you weren't using ray tracing, it ought to
>> be possibly to run on the GPU. I guess not...
>
> If you're not using any features of the ray tracer then isn't what you
> see in the edit view good enough?

As far as I know, I'm not using any ray tracer features, and yet the
final render looks different than the edit window. (If only by being
more grainy...)

>> (What's the point of a ray tracer in a product that only renders
>> triangles?)
>
> Ermm, physically correct multi-level reflections and refractions, more
> accurate GI, better AA, more accurate shadows, basically all the
> benefits of a raytracer rendering shapes other than triangles.

Well, I suppose. (I idea why AA would be better...) I guess I usually
think of the main advantage of ray-tracing as being the ability to
render things that aren't triangles. But sure, reflection, refraction
and shadows are other big advantages...

Post a reply to this message