POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Switzerland & minarets (Message 63 to 72 of 92)
From: Neeum Zawan
Subject: Re: Switzerland & minarets
Date: 13 Dec 2009 00:07:51
Message: <4b2476a7$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/09 11:05, Darren New wrote:
> It occurred to me that one could even view some of this as a question of
> promoting the overthrow of the government. Maybe the thought is that
> Islam is fine as long as you don't suggest that Sharia law should
> replace the constitutional government currently in place. Minarets might
> be seen as more of a suggestion along those lines than mere mosques.

	Well, sure. As may the presence of Muslims. Why not just ban them? I'm
not asking the question sarcastically. It's ludicrous to think that
banning a structure will prevent any Sharia movement - beyond just
giving a message that Muslims are not welcome. It's not as if Sharia
relies on the existence of minarets.

> In any case, I can see some wisdom in restricting the freedom of speech
> of an organization devoted to the overthrow of democratic government,
> religion or not. Which is not to say all Islam is this, but certainly
> much of it is.

	Sure, but banning a piece of architecture is a disingenuous way to do
this. They should simply just pass a law along the lines of their real
concerns.

--
----> If you cut here, you'll ruin your monitor. <----

Post a reply to this message

Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         Well, sure. As may the presence of Muslims. Why not just ban them? I'm
> not asking the question sarcastically. It's ludicrous to think that
> banning a structure will prevent any Sharia movement - beyond just
> giving a message that Muslims are not welcome. It's not as if Sharia
> relies on the existence of minarets.

  If it were up to me, this kind of islam would most certainly not be welcome
here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/muslimprotest.asp

  If someone comes here, publicly threatens the hosting population with
beheadings and holocausts and demands basic freedom to be banned, in my
opinion they can go to hell, and are certainly not welcome here.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Neeum Zawan<m.n### [at] ieeeorg>  wrote:
>>          Well, sure. As may the presence of Muslims. Why not just ban them? I'm
>> not asking the question sarcastically. It's ludicrous to think that
>> banning a structure will prevent any Sharia movement - beyond just
>> giving a message that Muslims are not welcome. It's not as if Sharia
>> relies on the existence of minarets.
>
>    If it were up to me, this kind of islam would most certainly not be welcome
> here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/muslimprotest.asp

	And this has what to to do with minarets (and with Switzerland?). Sure,
the Swiss doesn't want those kinds of folks (who does?), but does anyone
think those guys are going to say, "Oh damn! Now that minarets are
banned, we can't say these things in Switzerland"?

>    If someone comes here, publicly threatens the hosting population with
> beheadings and holocausts and demands basic freedom to be banned, in my
> opinion they can go to hell, and are certainly not welcome here.

	Yes, but I want people to say it outright, and ultimately pass laws
that don't try to go around the issue. Passing it off as a question of
architectural integrity is a lowly act.

--
I'm! A! Graduate! Of! The! Bill! Shatner! Acting! School!

Post a reply to this message

Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> On 12/13/09 12:16, Warp wrote:
> > Neeum Zawan<m.n### [at] ieeeorg>  wrote:
> >>          Well, sure. As may the presence of Muslims. Why not just ban them? I'm
> >> not asking the question sarcastically. It's ludicrous to think that
> >> banning a structure will prevent any Sharia movement - beyond just
> >> giving a message that Muslims are not welcome. It's not as if Sharia
> >> relies on the existence of minarets.
> >
> >    If it were up to me, this kind of islam would most certainly not be welcome
> > here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/muslimprotest.asp

>         And this has what to to do with minarets (and with Switzerland?).

  That muslims have brought up negative sentiments on themselves by acting
like idiots. No amount of multiculturalist propaganda is going to change
that. If muslims want to to earn respect, they should stop acting like
fanatics and killing people. *Then* they might get their minarets.

  If Europeans go to, for example, Africa and start acting like jerks and
killing people, can you blame the natives for growing resentment and
decline their demands? If not, then you can't blame Europeans for not
bowing to every demand that muslims make.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message