POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lazy SUSE Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Lazy SUSE (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: clipka
Subject: Lazy SUSE
Date: 22 Nov 2009 03:45:34
Message: <4b08fa2e$1@news.povray.org>
Now this is interesting:

If the tools that come with openSUSE 11.2 are right, then on my AMD
Phenom QuadCore box single-threaded apps (e.g. MegaPOV or MCPov ;-))
perform doubly poor (or actually something around 6.5-fold): Not only do
they use just 25% of the total available processing power - by their
failure to do so they also motivate some instance in the system to
further reduce that total, by throttling the CPU clock from 2.3 GHz to
as low as 1.4 GHz (actually 1.15 GHz when idle)...

Does someone have an idea whether this is controlled by the OS or by the
CPU itself - and where I could turn it off?

Post a reply to this message

> If the tools that come with openSUSE 11.2 are right, then on my AMD
> Phenom QuadCore box single-threaded apps (e.g. MegaPOV or MCPov ;-))
> perform doubly poor (or actually something around 6.5-fold): Not only do
> they use just 25% of the total available processing power

  Isn't that the correct number for a single-threaded app running on a
quad-core?

> - by their
> failure to do so they also motivate some instance in the system to
> further reduce that total, by throttling the CPU clock from 2.3 GHz to
> as low as 1.4 GHz (actually 1.15 GHz when idle)...

  Are you sure it's not doing that because of overheating instead?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> If the tools that come with openSUSE 11.2 are right, then on my AMD
>> Phenom QuadCore box single-threaded apps (e.g. MegaPOV or MCPov ;-))
>> perform doubly poor (or actually something around 6.5-fold): Not only do
>> they use just 25% of the total available processing power
>
>   Isn't that the correct number for a single-threaded app running on a
> quad-core?

Yes - so far, so good...

>> - by their
>> failure to do so they also motivate some instance in the system to
>> further reduce that total, by throttling the CPU clock from 2.3 GHz to
>> as low as 1.4 GHz (actually 1.15 GHz when idle)...
>
>   Are you sure it's not doing that because of overheating instead?

Pretty bloody likely not, as the CPU clock indicator goes /up/ when load
increases - not the typical reaction to thermal issues, is it? :-P

But I found the solution to the riddle: What I saw was only the
/average/ clock; when not under full load, openSUSE will apparently put
some of the cores in a kind of standby mode, throttling their clock to
half speed, while happily running the processor-hungry single-thread app
on some other core still clocked at full speed.

Post a reply to this message

> But I found the solution to the riddle: What I saw was only the /average/
> clock; when not under full load, openSUSE will apparently put some of the
> cores in a kind of standby mode, throttling their clock to half speed,
> while happily running the processor-hungry single-thread app on some other
> core still clocked at full speed.

Is it really possible to put individual cores into standby or clock a core
individually?

Is this a feature of AMD or does it work with Intel, too?

What about Intel Quadcores, which are basically two double cores?

Post a reply to this message