POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lazy SUSE : Re: Lazy SUSE Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lazy SUSE
From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2009 05:00:40
Message: <4b090bc8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> If the tools that come with openSUSE 11.2 are right, then on my AMD
>> Phenom QuadCore box single-threaded apps (e.g. MegaPOV or MCPov ;-))
>> perform doubly poor (or actually something around 6.5-fold): Not only do
>> they use just 25% of the total available processing power
>
>   Isn't that the correct number for a single-threaded app running on a
> quad-core?

Yes - so far, so good...

>> - by their
>> failure to do so they also motivate some instance in the system to
>> further reduce that total, by throttling the CPU clock from 2.3 GHz to
>> as low as 1.4 GHz (actually 1.15 GHz when idle)...
>
>   Are you sure it's not doing that because of overheating instead?

Pretty bloody likely not, as the CPU clock indicator goes /up/ when load
increases - not the typical reaction to thermal issues, is it? :-P

But I found the solution to the riddle: What I saw was only the
/average/ clock; when not under full load, openSUSE will apparently put
some of the cores in a kind of standby mode, throttling their clock to
half speed, while happily running the processor-hungry single-thread app
on some other core still clocked at full speed.