POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lazy SUSE : Re: Seperates clocks for separate cores? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seperates clocks for separate cores?
From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2009 23:39:20
Message: <4b0a11f8$1@news.povray.org>
TC schrieb:

> Is it really possible to put individual cores into standby or clock a core
> individually?

Apparently so. If the interface to the other CPU components run at a
different frequency than the cores anyway, then it should actually be
quite straightforward.

> Is this a feature of AMD or does it work with Intel, too?
>
> What about Intel Quadcores, which are basically two double cores?

 From what I see on the internet, Intel CPUs can do the same only for
pairs of cores (at least with the CoreDuo technology). They have some
alternative called "duty cycle modulation" though, in which they appear
to stall a core comletely at regular intervals; maybe they can do that
for individual cores, too.

(Random fun fact: At the frequencies modern CPU cores run at, signals
can travel no faster than about 10-15 cm per clock cycle: Anything
faster than that would exceed the vacuum speed of light.)