POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lazy SUSE : Lazy SUSE Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Lazy SUSE
From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2009 03:45:34
Message: <4b08fa2e$1@news.povray.org>
Now this is interesting:

If the tools that come with openSUSE 11.2 are right, then on my AMD
Phenom QuadCore box single-threaded apps (e.g. MegaPOV or MCPov ;-))
perform doubly poor (or actually something around 6.5-fold): Not only do
they use just 25% of the total available processing power - by their
failure to do so they also motivate some instance in the system to
further reduce that total, by throttling the CPU clock from 2.3 GHz to
as low as 1.4 GHz (actually 1.15 GHz when idle)...

Does someone have an idea whether this is controlled by the OS or by the
CPU itself - and where I could turn it off?