POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More microsoft patents Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  More microsoft patents (Message 1 to 10 of 31)
From: Darren New
Subject: More microsoft patents
Date: 19 Nov 2009 13:11:25
Message: <4b058a4d$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20090282325.pdf

They're apparently trying to patent "graphing data that's in a spreadsheet".

I didn't go thru it in detail, but unless a "sparkline" means something
other than what's in the pictures, this seems really ... unlikely to clear,
I would hope.  I mean, didn't Lotos 123 do this back before Windows?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?

Post a reply to this message

> They're apparently trying to patent "graphing data that's in a
> spreadsheet".
>
> I didn't go thru it in detail, but unless a "sparkline" means something
> other than what's in the pictures, this seems really ... unlikely to
> clear, I would hope.  I mean, didn't Lotos 123 do this back before Windows?

Oh, I see. Like this.

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2009/07/17/sparklines-in-excel.aspx

That said, the "primary inventor" blogs that someone else already invented
them and published them in a book, so I'm not real sure about that whole
perjury thing with asserting you've invented it yourself goes.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?
     Then he is not omnipotent.
   Is he able, but not willing, to prevent naglams?
     Then he is malevolent.

Post a reply to this message

> I mean, didn't Lotos 123 do this back before Windows?

  Even if Microsoft itself invented the concept why would that matter?
I don't think that even in the US you can invent a concept and use it for
15 years and *then* try to patent it. Prior art applies even if the patent
applicant is the original inventor.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message