POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More microsoft patents : Re: More microsoft patents Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More microsoft patents
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 19 Nov 2009 16:17:05
Message: <4b05b5d1$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b058a4d$1@news.povray.org...
> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20090282325.pdf
>
> They're apparently trying to patent...

Tangentially related...

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTAL.jsp?id=1202435316698&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

I have new hope.  Not only are the justices skeptical of Bilski, it actually
sounds like the SCOTUS justices recognize that many types of patents should
never have been approved.  In fact, they even seemed to attack the Deputy
Solicitor General, because he was still in favor of things such as software
patents.

Software is, and should be, covered by copyright law.  Period.  Just as one
person can use an idea in their novel, even if it was obviously taken from
another novel, it should not be prevented (via patent).  If you copy all, or
a portion of, the other novel, it's a copyright violation.  Aside from text
and interface (copyright), computer programs are mostly mathematics and
databases, both of which are not patentable, nor copyrightable.  Alas, we
have software patents, nonetheless.  Someone dropped the ball.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the SCOTUS shot them all down?  I have a little
bit of hope.  If it doesn't happen in this case, it appears that they are
simply waiting for a better case.