POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tool of choice for lighteweight Linux GUI tools Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:32 EDT (-0400)
  Tool of choice for lighteweight Linux GUI tools (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: clipka
Subject: Tool of choice for lighteweight Linux GUI tools
Date: 19 Nov 2009 00:19:01
Message: <4b04d545@news.povray.org>
In the recent months, I have set up some shell-script-based framework to
run benchmarks (and verify output) on experimental POV-Ray versions.

So far, so good.

I'm not too happy with the current solution though: It's good as far as
command-line tools go, but I'd like to take it further towards an
interactive GUI thing.

Any recommendations for the tool of choice?

I'm looking for a language - or toolkit - that is easy to learn for me,
and easy to throw together some user interface as well as
shell-script-ish program logic.

The user interface should have some rather elaborate support for tables:
Popup context menus and per-cell background color will me minimum, bells
& whistles like merged cells, elaborate cell formatting options, varying
grid line widths or even images in table cells would be nice to have. A
GUI element to display images is an absolute must.

Other than that, it must be easy to run external commands and process
their output, ideally with a means to "time" the external command (both
CPU and wall-clock time). Support for Sqlite3 databases would be nice.

I guess that Tcl/Tk and Perl might fit the bill; how about Python or
Ruby? And which of all these would you recommend to someone presently
actively using C/C++, some Unix shell scripting, a bit of JavaScript,
and of course POV-Ray SDL?

Post a reply to this message