POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tool of choice for lighteweight Linux GUI tools : Re: Tool of choice for lighteweight Linux GUI tools Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tool of choice for lighteweight Linux GUI tools
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Nov 2009 01:52:43
Message: <4b04eb3b@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> First question: How can I get Tk to use the window manager's look &
> feel? A simple test script resulted in something motif-like, even though
> according to Wikipedia Tcl/Tk 8 and above should use the "native" look &
> feel, which in this particular case is KDE4.
>
> Or am I missing something fundamental here?

There's two possibilities. One is to frob around all the settings. You can
probably google around for a set of configuration options for widgets
that'll do it, altho that's the sledgehammer way.

More recently, there's "ttk", which is a re-do of Tk.  I'm afraid I haven't
used it much, but it's apparently supposed to make that sort of thing much
easier.

But, yes, Tk programs often look like motif. It uses native widgets where
available - it just by default has the colors and texts and such set to
something that makes it look like motif.

Here are some starting points, if this helps.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/9485

http://wiki.tcl.tk/11075

http://wiki.tcl.tk/14796

http://www.tkdocs.com/

It isn't trivial, but it's not too hard to match a particular style pretty
well. Admittedly, getting it to not look too motif-like is one common
complaint. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable? Then he is not omnipotent.