POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents (Message 1 to 10 of 81)
From: Warp
Subject: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
Date: 17 Nov 2009 14:54:53
Message: <4b02ff8d@news.povray.org>

  If the US patent office was capable of actually checking for obvious
prior art, then *maybe* one could perhaps accept software patents. As it
is, it's just crazy.

  (And no, having a graphical sudo is not innovative. Many systems have
had automatic graphical sudos for a long, long time, including eg. Suse
Linux.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   If the US patent office was capable of actually checking for obvious
> prior art, then *maybe* one could perhaps accept software patents. As it
> is, it's just crazy.
>
>   (And no, having a graphical sudo is not innovative. Many systems have
> had automatic graphical sudos for a long, long time, including eg. Suse
> Linux.)

The Optimus keyboard website still says "patents pending". There is not only
prior art but also a prior *patent* (filed a decade ago) about a keyboard
with screens on each key.

And last year, Apple filed a patent for such a keyboard. Despite Optimus
being produced and sold already.

Post a reply to this message