POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Warp
Date: 17 Nov 2009 18:02:53
Message: <4b032b9d@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The Optimus keyboard website still says "patents pending". There is not only
> prior art but also a prior *patent* (filed a decade ago) about a keyboard
> with screens on each key.

  I find the whole "patent pending" thing just ridiculous. Here if you
publish something before patenting it, you don't get the patent, period.
Simple and effective.

> And last year, Apple filed a patent for such a keyboard. Despite Optimus
> being produced and sold already.

  At least patent lawyers and the patent office are getting rich. As
I understand it, patenting is quite expensive in the US. With all those
completely ridiculous patents one would think that it's free, or at least
really cheap, but AFAIK it's quite expensive.

--
                                                          - Warp