POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Nov 2009 19:02:33
Message: <4b033999$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (And no, having a graphical sudo is not innovative.

I'm guessing the innovation is in part limiting the presentation to accounts
with permissions to do the job and sorting those so they come before
accounts with permissions to do more than needed.

Which doesn't happen with sudo, since there's only one privileged account.

Remember, it's not "graphical sudo". It's *everything* in the entire claim.

For example, if your graphical sudo doesn't have a help feature, it's not
infringing on this patent. On the other hand, help features are "obvious" so
this isn't sufficient to distinguish this patent enough that it should have
passed based just on that. IANAL.

If you have only root and non-root, you aren't infringing this patent. If
you don't have a way to have accounts "associated with users" (by which I
assume they mean "in the same group"), you don't infringe. If you don't have
"sufficient but not unlimited rights", you're not infringing the patent. If
you don't adjust the list based on frequency of use, you're not infringing
the patent. If you don't have pictures associated with user accounts, you're
not infringing the patent. If you don't authenticate to the system based on
passwords, you're not infringing the patent.

Note that if you have *all* of these elements, you're no tinfringing the
first claim. (I didn't delve into the second claim much, except to see it's
basically "claim 1, only with capabilities".)  Usually when a patent has 300
clauses in the first claim, it's because it *needs* all 300 to be considered
different from what has come before.  *Then* you have to read all the mail
that went between the patent office, where the patent office said "You say
authenticator, but we already have smart cards to do this" and MS says "We
don't mean smart cards, then. How about now?"

Which is not to say I'm not joyous that the Supreme Court is looking at
whether to throw all this kind of crap out, but it looks like MS at least is
already trying to work around that by claiming to patent a computer disk
with a program on it.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
     Is God willing to prevent phrogams, but not able?