POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Modern Linux desktops suck (Message 118 to 127 of 127)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
Date: 24 Nov 2009 14:06:16
Message: <4b0c2ea8@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
> >
> >     Not really on Linux. It eats up the CPU, and doesn't seem to utilize
> > many capabilities of the graphics card - which the Windows plugins do.
> >

> The Linux Flash is still a crappy piece of shit. It's a resource hog and
> still it's amazingly stupid (eg. won't handle second soundcard, even
> though it supports ALSA).

  Hardly Linux's own fault given that Flash is, at least in principle,
a proprietary format owned by Adobe, who also makes the Linux Flash plugin.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 24 Nov 2009 14:27:51
Message: <4b0c33b7@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Hardly Linux's own fault given that Flash is, at least in principle,
> a proprietary format owned by Adobe, who also makes the Linux Flash plugin.

I fully agree, the fault is on Adobe, which doesn't seem to be keen to
allocate resources to get the freaking thing to work. But still it's the
Linux version that's ultimately crappy, AFAIK Windows-Flash works much
better.

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

Eero Ahonen <aer### [at] removethiszbxtnetinvalid> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> >
> >   Hardly Linux's own fault given that Flash is, at least in principle,
> > a proprietary format owned by Adobe, who also makes the Linux Flash plugin.
> >

> I fully agree, the fault is on Adobe, which doesn't seem to be keen to
> allocate resources to get the freaking thing to work. But still it's the
> Linux version that's ultimately crappy, AFAIK Windows-Flash works much
> better.

  But you can't blame Linux for that.

  OTOH the current plugin can be used for basically any Flash app out
there, so it's better than nothing.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message