POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Nov 2009 17:02:56
Message: <4b0da990@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:24:48 -0600, Neeum Zawan wrote:

>>> 	Not really on Linux. It eats up the CPU, and doesn't seem to
>> utilize
>>> many capabilities of the graphics card - which the Windows plugins do.
>>
>> I use it quite frequently, and while it does suck CPU, it does run full
>> screen, which is what the claim there was....
>>
>> "Works for me"....
>
> 	Ah. You have a fast CPU.

AMD-64 2 GHz dual core processor - not really blazingly fast by today's
standards.  That's the desktop machine.  The Dell laptop is a single core
(I believe) Intel 32-bit processor that runs at about 2 GHz as well.
I've a slower laptop in the office (a Thinkpad t42p) that's slower and
still seems to handle it OK.

> 	It's like saying "X works", when you don't have 3-D working. A
major
> "feature" of the plugin fails to work. From my perspective, that means
> it *doesn't* work.
>
> 	Anyway, on many computers, including mine, playing HD videos full
> screen on Flash gets jerky. CPU can't handle it, and the CPU isn't
> supposed to handle it - the video card is.

I don't disagree with that - I'm not saying it's the best engineered
piece of software in the world, but I am saying that it works well enough
for the rare occasions I do use it.

Jim