POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Swell. (Message 223 to 232 of 312)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Swell.
Date: 11 Nov 2009 14:19:13
Message: <4afb0e31$1@news.povray.org>
> Think about what it would mean to your evolution if every time you ran
> away real hard or chased something so hard it made you sweat, you said
> "Wow, that sucks, I'm gonna try to avoid that in the future."

Damn. I think my brain just imploded due to the Liar Paradox. o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Nov 2009 14:21:11
Message: <4afb0ea7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. I too have written scripts to do backup. It seems like all you
>> have to do is copy a bunch of files, but it's never quite that simple
>> in reality. You have to deal with files that are locked, files getting
>> moved around or deleted while you're trying to copy them, file
>> security, alternate data streams, not upsetting programs working on
>> those files just because you want to back them up, and so on.
>
> Correct. And it's not that hard. Want my scripts to do it?

Right. Because there's a million and one gatchas to watch out for, and
you've somehow covered them all with just a simple shell script.

>> If you want to be able to do stuff like back up or restore an
>> individual Exchange mailbox, good luck doing that with scripting.
>
> Well, it would be file-level backups. I don't know how Exchange stores
> its mailboxes.

In a giant database file. (It wouldn't surprise me if it's a JET
database...)

> The tools are there to do this. They're not that hard to understand.

Sure. It's called professional backup software. And it costs lots of
money. Because they can...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/