POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2009 15:08:58
Message: <4afb19da@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Right. Because there's a million and one gatchas to watch out for, and
> you've somehow covered them all with just a simple shell script.

It's really not all that hard. :-)  The tools are there.  If you don't want
them, then fine, but it's based off of someone who wanted to back up several
hundred desktop machines that had never been backed up onto a couple of
central servers over the course of a couple of weeks, so, yeah, it handles a
lot.

Look at robocopy, for example, and you'll see it'll mirror an entire
directory tree including junctions and auditing properties and everything
else, including network failures, it'll run and watch for some number of
changes and redo the backup when it gets there, etc.

Then look at vshadow and see how it'll take a snapshot of a running drive
and expose it under a different letter.

Of course it can fail. It's not going to fail silently without you knowing it.

> In a giant database file. (It wouldn't surprise me if it's a JET
> database...)

That would be messy, but I'm guessing that vshadow tells exchange and/or jet
to flush their changes so at least you get a consistent and correct file in
the backup. (That's the sort of thing that I was saying UNIX doesn't make
trivial, even tho you can copy open files.)

>> The tools are there to do this. They're not that hard to understand.
>
> Sure. It's called professional backup software. And it costs lots of
> money. Because they can..

If you're going disk-to-disk, it doesn't cost all that much.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)