POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Nov 2009 14:21:11
Message: <4afb0ea7$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh. I too have written scripts to do backup. It seems like all you
>> have to do is copy a bunch of files, but it's never quite that simple
>> in reality. You have to deal with files that are locked, files getting
>> moved around or deleted while you're trying to copy them, file
>> security, alternate data streams, not upsetting programs working on
>> those files just because you want to back them up, and so on.
>
> Correct. And it's not that hard. Want my scripts to do it?

Right. Because there's a million and one gatchas to watch out for, and
you've somehow covered them all with just a simple shell script.

>> If you want to be able to do stuff like back up or restore an
>> individual Exchange mailbox, good luck doing that with scripting.
>
> Well, it would be file-level backups. I don't know how Exchange stores
> its mailboxes.

In a giant database file. (It wouldn't surprise me if it's a JET
database...)

> The tools are there to do this. They're not that hard to understand.

Sure. It's called professional backup software. And it costs lots of
money. Because they can...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/