POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Swell. (Message 21 to 30 of 312)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Re: Swell.
Date: 9 Nov 2009 08:49:26
Message: <4af81de5@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>>> As I said, I *hope* it's just the enclosure that croaked, and the drive
>>> itself is just fine.
>>
>> Isn't that hoping against hope? I mean, the most mechanically vulnerable
>> components are in the -drive-, no the enclosure? The enclosure is just a
>> port and physical container?
>
> Typically an external enclosure contains some kind of controller to
> convert from IDE/SATA/whatever to USB. This is a non-trivial piece of
> electronics, and it's not inconceivable that it could break.
>
> Seems kinda unlikely though...

That's what I was thinking of, yes. Mechanical components tend to fail much
more easily or regularly than a few tens of millions of transistors, not
true?

Ooo can't wait for solid-state drives to become common... and less
expensive...!
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> Ooo can't wait for solid-state drives to become common... and less
> expensive...!

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173953
http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=IPE64PSSD

It's happening. Slowly.