POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Nov 2009 09:42:41
Message: <4af82a61@news.povray.org>
>>> Ooo can't wait for solid-state drives to become common... and less
>>> expensive...!

>> ...so that's 64GB for about £100. It wasn't so long ago that you had to
>> pay £400 for 4GB (which is almost useless).
>
> Hey, that's not TOO bad. Still a hell of a lot more expensive
> than "spinning" drives though, at least when converted to local currency in
> the PC wholesalers here.

It *is* still far more expensive, but SSD drives are now appearing in
sizes that might actually be useful for something, and prices that
normal human beings can actually afford. I'm sure it'll take time, but
hardware prices only ever seem to go down.

I haven't seen any data about the reliability of SSD vs HD. Bare in mind
that flash RAM has a theoretically limited number of write cycles.

Personally, I'd probably use SSD for my system partition (for the faster
booting) and use cheap spinning disk for my POV-Ray renders. ;-)