POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: clipka
Date: 9 Nov 2009 10:41:27
Message: <4af83827@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen schrieb:

> I've seen this phenomenon on older drives. Had a HDD in a system here that
> was left on for years, probably been turned off 20 or 30 times in its
> useful life. The fortieth or forty-fifth time the server was turned off,
> the HDD died - after running reliably (while not being turned off, ever)
> for 5 or 6 years. Ok, old hardware and an old drive, but just goes to show.
> Keep 'em spinning is better than spin-up / spin-down on a daily basis.

To me that rather makes a case that running a HDD 24-7 nonstop (probably
at high workload) may instead just increase the risk of
death-by-power-cycle.

Otherwise you'd wonder how office computers, being powered on and off 5
or 6 days per week, could possibly last even two months. Yet they're
usually good for about 5 to 10 years (though they'll be long outdated by
then).