POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:35:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: clipka
Date: 9 Nov 2009 10:48:36
Message: <4af839d4@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen schrieb:

> *brrr* - I shiver at the thought of a mobile HDD as a backup device...
>
> How do you feel about the statement that the fact that if a drive is mobile,
> inherently it will never last as long as a "traditional" statically mounted
> drive that just sites in a cradle internally in a climate controlled server
> rack / box?

Sure, a server rack in a proper server room is probably the safest place
for a HDD to live in.

But I don't think a good external case is any more dangerous to HDD
health than your average office ATX tower, that gets its thermal shocks
day by day when switched on, and some accidental (or sometimes
deliberate) kicks by its user now and then.

Yes, backing up to a server farm is probably the safest way to go
(especially since server farms usually have their own backup schemes
:-P), but it is not always an option.