POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric shapes that could be turned into buildings Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Geometric shapes that could be turned into buildings (Message 29 to 38 of 38)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: You probably mean the Atomium
Date: 20 Oct 2009 01:41:09
Message: <4add4d75$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomium
>
>   Looks like a regular cube to me...

Aside from the extra ball in the center, it actually is.

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Subject: Re: Geometric shapes that could be turned into buildings
Date: 20 Oct 2009 06:50:21
Message: <4add95ed@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> I was wondering, what kind of interesting geometric shapes (solids,
> surfaces, etc.) have been or could be converted into buildings?
>
> Mike
I have seen so many fascinating POV-Ray rendered images that would be
impossible to remember or to suggest, but something I really would like
to see built is a Fractal Julia :-D

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Oct 2009 06:51:24
Message: <4add962c@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga wrote:

> I have seen so many fascinating POV-Ray rendered images that would be
> impossible to remember or to suggest, but something I really would like
> to see built is a Fractal Julia :-D

Meh. I'd like to see a 3D slice of the 4D cubic complex Mandelbrot set. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Cathedrals
Date: 20 Oct 2009 16:04:10
Message: <4ade17ba$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> On 10/19/2009 12:53 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> Bill Pragnell wrote:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagrada_Fam%C3%ADlia
>>
>> That is all I'll say
>
> Over millions of years, pure candy forms into stalactites much like this.
>
> Mike

How about?

http://defencedebates.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/gaudi-house1.jpg

or

http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/272046a2e89d53ab5039d45c8f83651e97055caa_m.jpg

or

http://www.xarj.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/gaudi2-barcelona.jpg

or even

http://www.sepal.org/gulick/graphics/gaudi-sagrada-familia_bg.jpg

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Oct 2009 16:13:03
Message: <4ade19cf$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>
>> I have seen so many fascinating POV-Ray rendered images that would be
>> impossible to remember or to suggest, but something I really would
>> like to see built is a Fractal Julia :-D
>
> Meh. I'd like to see a 3D slice of the 4D cubic complex Mandelbrot set. ;-)

A couple of years ago you posted the SDL code for a cubic Mandelbrot
which I turned into a df3 file. I hinted and hinted for you to do the
same for the classic Mandelbrot but we both move on.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 20 Oct 2009 16:20:57
Message: <4ade1ba9$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

Glad to see there's another Gaudi fan around here :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Oct 2009 16:43:08
Message: <4ade20dc$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>
> Glad to see there's another Gaudi fan around here :)

In the late 80’s I went to Spain intending to go to Barcelona, Madrid,
Toledo etc. I never got further than Barcelona. I fell in love with
Gaudi and the city.
The only reason I came home was because the RSC put on The Rover by
Aphra Behn. (I had queued for days to get a day seat the year before)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 20 Oct 2009 17:46:19
Message: <4ade2fab@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>
>> I have seen so many fascinating POV-Ray rendered images that would be
>> impossible to remember or to suggest, but something I really would
>> like to see built is a Fractal Julia :-D
>
> Meh. I'd like to see a 3D slice of the 4D cubic complex Mandelbrot set. ;-)

I couldn't find any images of a 4D cubic complex Mandelbrot set but I
found a 'smallest absolute value of the orbit of the interior points of
the Mandelbrot set', 4D must be too crazy, man you need to suggest
something in 3D that won't take a team of Einsteins to make the blue
prints :-)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'utf-8' (29 KB)

From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 20 Oct 2009 17:53:03
Message: <4ade313f$1@news.povray.org>
In case you are interested and don't have it:

http://www.dhushara.com/DarkHeart/DarkHeart.htm
http://flashlight.slad.cz/files/bp_vis.pdf
http://www.evl.uic.edu/hypercomplex/html/book/book.pdf

From: Invisible
Date: 21 Oct 2009 05:05:28
Message: <4adeced8$1@news.povray.org>
I never did like hypercomplex numbers and quaternions very much. Neither
of them are true number fields, and the Julia sets they produce are just
slightly modified surfaces of revolution.

The complex cubic Mandelbrot set uses only complex arithmetic - a true
number field - and produces a 4D image that has genuine detail in every
direction. The resulting images look much more "natural" to my eyes,
whichever plane you slice it in.

As you say though, this object is not widely known.

(And there's no way you'd ever make a building out of it. It's far too
impractical...)