POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A little arithmetic Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  A little arithmetic (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: scott
Subject: Re: A little arithmetic
Date: 13 Oct 2009 10:23:02
Message: <4ad48d46@news.povray.org>
> Unfortunately, I don't know of any system which actually does this. So
> turning up the resolution just makes everything smaller and harder to
> see...

Ermm Windows does (you can tell it your monitor DPI in display settings
somewhere), I used this setting for ages on my laptop, but then I got a new
CAD program and it didn't like the higher DPI settings so I had to go back
to the defaults.

>> IIRC
>> your eye can resolve down to about 1/60 of a degree, so you can do the
>> maths...
>
> Apparently 1/60 degree is 1 minute of arc, the sine of which is about
> 0.0002909. So at 40cm distance, that's... 116.4 um, which is obviously
> nonesense.

How come? 116um sounds the right order of magnitude for a pixel pitch to me.

Post a reply to this message

>> Unfortunately, I don't know of any system which actually does this. So
>> turning up the resolution just makes everything smaller and harder to
>> see...
>
> Ermm Windows does (you can tell it your monitor DPI in display settings
> somewhere)

Really? That's interesting...

> I used this setting for ages on my laptop, but then I got a
> new CAD program and it didn't like the higher DPI settings so I had to

Hahaha... The irony! The one program you'd expect to make use of such
information.

>>> IIRC
>>> your eye can resolve down to about 1/60 of a degree, so you can do
>>> the maths...
>>
>> Apparently 1/60 degree is 1 minute of arc, the sine of which is about
>> 0.0002909. So at 40cm distance, that's... 116.4 um, which is obviously
>> nonesense.
>
> How come? 116um sounds the right order of magnitude for a pixel pitch to
> me.

Isn't 116um less than the wavelength of visible light?

Post a reply to this message