POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Today's XKCD .. (Message 68 to 77 of 107)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Today's XKCD ..
Date: 8 Oct 2009 17:12:48
Message: <mdlsc55j9td5galglpksjtlgb5gpb37kld@4ax.com>
On 8 Oct 2009 17:02:51 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:

>Though you may have noticed that I often tend to spell words the British
>way.  I realise that it's important to write to my intended audience. ;-)

And so it is :)
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Oct 2009 17:20:53
Message: <4ace57b5$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:12:36 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2009 17:02:51 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>Though you may have noticed that I often tend to spell words the British
>>way.  I realise that it's important to write to my intended audience.
>>;-)
>
> And so it is :)

Which is why I don't use SMS much. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 8 Oct 2009 17:38:16
Message: <4ace5bc8@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> where we'd replace some rarely-used characters with the German umlauts,
>
> I'm pretty sure this is why Americans call "#" the "pound sign." It's on
> the keyboard in the same place the Brits put their currency marker.

Indeed. As a matter of fact, just like the Germans used a variation of
the ASCII code, so did the British, using the "#" code point for their
currency sign.

I'm pretty sure the origin of calling "#" the "pound sign" was from
Americans being unaware that the Brits, when talking about that code
point, were actually talking about a totally different symbol.

Post a reply to this message