POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: clipka
Date: 8 Oct 2009 17:38:16
Message: <4ace5bc8@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> where we'd replace some rarely-used characters with the German umlauts,
>
> I'm pretty sure this is why Americans call "#" the "pound sign." It's on
> the keyboard in the same place the Brits put their currency marker.

Indeed. As a matter of fact, just like the Germans used a variation of
the ASCII code, so did the British, using the "#" code point for their
currency sign.

I'm pretty sure the origin of calling "#" the "pound sign" was from
Americans being unaware that the Brits, when talking about that code
point, were actually talking about a totally different symbol.