POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Stephen
Date: 9 Oct 2009 01:16:04
Message: <knhtc593o0g9i55meqq7mnofggai7a1lp8@4ax.com>
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:31:45 -0500, Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:

>On 10/08/09 02:26, smc### [at] csccom wrote:
>> When we introduced English to the world we did it at the point of a gun
>> and with gunboat diplomacy. The American method was more economic,
>> supplying cheap(ish) computer products and English language films.
>> Somehow that seems more acceptable to people at large.
>
>	Umm... yeah. I can't fathom why people would rather watch a movie than
>be riddled with bullets...

I wrote that badly and reversed the meaning. :(

To rephrase what I wrote. Violence has been with us since time immemorial and
seems a natural, if reprehensible, way of doing things. Conversely after the
economic benefits of buying cheep imports have faded and people awaken to find
that own industries have declined. A greater resentment is often found. They
don't say "it is our fault for not supporting our own industries" but "Damn
Americans forcing their way of life on us and there is nothing we can do about
it, not even rebel"
--

Regards
     Stephen