POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:16:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2009 23:20:56
Message: <4aceac18@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

 > as it requires an infinitely long memory tape

No it doesn't. It only requires an unbounded memory tape. There's a huge
difference.

> Therefore, a machine programmable only by re-wiring /cannot/, by
> definition, be Turing-complete.

I don't think that's right. Wire up the computer to be a UTM, and it's
Turing complete.

Unless you are unable to wire up Colossus in such a way that it can
interpret arbitrary Turing machine programs, it it Turing complete. I.e.,
Colossus would be the "simulating" Universal Turing Machine on which you
could interpret any other Turing machine.

 > Now stating that a machine is "Turing-complete" is equivalent to saying
that it is capable of simulating not just /some/ Turing machine, but a
/Universal/ Turing machine

Any real machine capable of simulating an arbitrary Turing machine is Turing
complete. The only limitation would be whether Colossus had enough wires to
do the job, really. But you could conceive of a machine with hard wires that
simulates a Turing machine.

Indeed, you're using one.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)