POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:01:47 EDT (-0400)
  Idle dreams (Message 11 to 20 of 60)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Idle dreams
Date: 27 Aug 2009 10:46:13
Message: <4a969c35@news.povray.org>
>>  I'm wondering: What do people do with so many cores? And I'm talking
>> about
>> average people, not people who use POV-Ray 3.7 (who are a rather small
>> minority).
>
> Nothing, they just buy them because it sounds better than before (after
> all, they can't make the clock rate much higher anymore).  A bit like
> how a phone with a 5MP camera sells better than one with a 2MP camera,
> even though the photos are just as crappy and you can hardly blow it up
> to A4 to print out.

It's completely true! My mum bought a 7MP camera and was bragging about
how much better it was than my little 3MP camera...

...until we looked at the actual pictures, and discovered that mine was
vastly superior. Funny how having a 0.2 mm lense results in awful
picture quality, eh?

For what most people do, the single limiting factor in apparent speed is
the HD and the Internet link. But while you could print a page of stuff
about rotational latency and cache size, it's easier to slap a big "Core
i7 3.0 GHz" sticker on the front instead.

Big numbers sell.

Post a reply to this message