POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2009 13:18:42
Message: <4a96bff2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Most of the PCs round here, it seems, are in fact limited by RAM
> capacity, HD access speed, and most significantly network latency.

My boss bought a quad-core Mac with SSDs. A few weeks later I asked how it
worked out.  He said "I never wait for anything." :-)

With several SATA drives, it's nice to be able to copy at 80MBps between two
different pairs of drives at once.  Way nicer than lame-ass IDE.

And my net here is nicely peppy. At 12Mbps, I'm almost always maxing out
someone else's connection before my own. I can suck down an entire CD worth
of data in about 15 minutes, faster than driving into work to pick it up.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe