POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Aug 2009 16:13:59
Message: <4a96e907@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Does the average computer user both own a photo editing software which
> supports multithreading and use it to its full extent?

I dunno. Who is an average programmer? :-)  If you do a "sharpen" or
something and it's written to use multiple threads to do so, you'll use all
the cores.

>   Niche market, i'd say.

Sure. Almost everything in computers is a niche market in some sense. :-)

> Even those who do video encoding could probably
> do it just as well with a dual-core or even a single-core.

Of course. Just not as fast. Everyone who downloads videos in the first
place could do it over dialup, too. (Except these are my own videos I'm
transcoding, of course)

>> Background stuff like virus scans while
>> you're trying to get actual work done. :-)
>
>   Virus scanners mostly stress disk I/O,

Sure. I just meant like other background stuff one tends to accumulate.

>   You are a power user, not an average user. And even you admit that you
> seldom need even three cores. More is just a waste.

Agreed. I was just giving samples of why one might want more cores that you
might not have thought of.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Understanding the structure of the universe