POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Idle dreams : Re: Idle dreams Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idle dreams
From: Warp
Date: 27 Aug 2009 12:43:26
Message: <4a96b7ae@news.povray.org>
> Forget about that: Computer games are like POV-Ray scenes - they
> invariably grow with the available computing power, to bog it down again
> to exactly that speed where it's /barely/ acceptable...

  But the thing is: Regardless of how many cores you add to your computer,
the games will quickly reach a roof where they won't get any faster.

  I'm willing to bet that you won't see any significant improvement in
framerates between a 2-core and a 6-core computer, which otherwise has
identical hardware.

  The main reason is that the GPU sets the limit, not the CPU. If the CPU
gets fast enough, it will just sit idle while the GPU renders a frame.
Adding more cores is not going to help that.

  Another reason is that, as I said, the computational capacity of the
game engine will most probably not grow linearly with the number of cores.
Performance which is completely linear compared to the number of cores is
a really hard problem. I would bet that with a game engine adding one more
core is probably only going to speed up calculations by 50% or something
like that.

  If you want more speed, the cores themselves would need to be faster.

--
                                                          - Warp