POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  What I'm learning about open source (Message 38 to 47 of 67)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: What I'm learning about open source
Date: 26 Aug 2009 01:47:11
Message: <4a94cc5f@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson schrieb:
>> So as all I do is just modify the GPL'ed code and not distribute it (it
>> stays on their machines all the times, right?), just providing that
>> company with some additional (non-GPL'ed) code of my own design, I fail
>> to see the problem.
>
> Your code, by definition, is required to be under the GPL because it is
> incorporated in a GPL'ed program.  That doesn't mean you have to
> distribute it publicly, but you do legally (by the GPL license) have to
> provide the company with the code.

(1) Code incorporated into a GPL'd program does /not/ need to be GPL'd,
unless the whole smash is to be distributed.

(2) In that hypothetical example, I /am/ hacking the code into the
company's copy of the source files anyway - how closer can I possibly
get to providing them with the source code?? :-P

But after reading the GPL again, I guess you're right insofar as in
order to circumvent having to GPL the changes, I'd have to grant the
company any rights to the modifications I make - including the right to
redistribute them (which they'd have to do under the GPL).

Did I mention before that I think the GPL sucks...?

Post a reply to this message