POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source : Re: What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I'm learning about open source
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2009 11:46:45
Message: <4a9558e5$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 23:32:23 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> For which Microsoft will be happy to provide you with many, many
>> reasons
>
> Unless you're using it as a router in the corner or something, yeah.

Well, if you're using it as a router in the corner and can't patch the
latest network vulnerability, the machine could be compromised.  More
likely, though, that a box running as a router in the corner is running a
BSD or Linux variant than Windows.  Why put a paid-for OS on such a box
when you can license software that does the job for free?

> That's more the sort of thing I'm talking about. If you're the kind of
> person who has a computer so you can once a month check your email and
> occasionally maybe print out a nice photo you took with your digital
> snapshot camera, chances are you never need to upgrade. If you have a
> non-networked computer running a piece of lab equipment, you're probably
> not going to upgrade until you change the lab equipment.
>
> If you use your computer regularly in a desktop environment, yah, you'll
> likely be upgrading it regularly. :-)

That's the use case I'm thinking of. :-)

Jim