POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What I'm learning about open source : Re: What I'm learning about open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What I'm learning about open source
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 26 Aug 2009 11:50:41
Message: <4a9559d1$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:56:53 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>
>> LOL, I've always said (particularly with regard to NetWare) that the
>> software was *too* stable. :-)
>>
>> Jim
>
> Indeed. As I more than once remarked to PFYs it wasn't the easiest
> system to configure but once you'd got it right, it was so easy to
> maintain that it could be delegated to them with no particular worries -
> thus leaving me with plenty of time for more important tasks like lunch
> :-)

Yup.  Consequently, NetWare servers tended to not be noticed.  Back in
the 3.x days when Novell added the "Novell NetWare" banner to the
LOGIN.EXE program, it was an attempt to make the server more visible.
Caused all sorts of headaches for system admins because batch files that
displayed information broke.  They had to add a switch to disable the
banner.

But the idea was good because often users didn't have any idea that they
were using a NW box.

I've just completed (as of yesterday) updating my Open Enterprise Server
2 system here at home - it's a Linux box, but the eDirectory tree started
on a NetWare 4.01 system back in the early 90's.  I definitely am a geek,
running NetWare at home. :-)

The NW system had been upgraded to 4.11, and later to 5 and 6 - and then
I moved it into a VMware instance (it was handling printing for my home
network), but the host system lost power and when it came back up, the
vmdk file was corrupted. :-(

So now printing is handled by that host system instead.  Time to move the
printer to the server, I think. :-)

Jim