POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Natural language is hard Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Natural language is hard (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Natural language is hard
Date: 18 Aug 2009 09:40:24
Message: <4a8aaf48$1@news.povray.org>
I just spent 20 minutes reading various Wikipedia articles on grammar.

My head hurts now.

All I was trying to figure out is why there's no such word as "sheeps".
Several other words have this property, but I have no idea what it's called.

Also: "transparent" is an adjective. But what the hell is
"transparency"? [Aside from also happening to be a noun. God English is
complicated!]

Post a reply to this message

> Also: "transparent" is an adjective. But what the hell is
> "transparency"? [Aside from also happening to be a noun. God English is
> complicated!]

It's only a noun (you can tell by how it's used in sentences).
Specifically, it is a quality of materials that allows light to pass
through them ;)

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> All I was trying to figure out is why there's no such word as "sheeps".
> Several other words have this property, but I have no idea what it's
> called.

If the plural of mouse is mice and louse is lice, shouldn't the plural
of house be hice?

> Also: "transparent" is an adjective. But what the hell is
> "transparency"? [Aside from also happening to be a noun. God English is
> complicated!]

The formation of 'transparency' from 'transparent' is straightforward,
as the sound 'ts' equates to soft 'c'.  See also: elegant/elegance.
(don't ask me where the effectively added s comes from)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message