POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Natural language is hard : Re: Natural language is hard Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:53:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Natural language is hard
From: David H  Burns
Date: 18 Aug 2009 19:36:49
Message: <4a8b3b11@news.povray.org>
Yes, natural languages are hard if you have to learn them as adults.
Their grammars never fit altogether
into neat systems. There are always a lot of exceptions which have to be
memorized or learned by use. As
children we learn them by use and they don bother us too much. English
apparently much worse in this
respect because it is a kind of hodge-podge of other languages built on
a more or less Germanic foundation.

Learning natural languages as adults is hard for most of us. Our
language acquiring ability is greatest
when we are younger than 5 or 6 and for most people diminishes rapidly
after that. I think that it is the fact
that that natural languages are not and cannot be made entirely
systematic is what makes them such
powerful tools for communication.

It's no surprise that 20 minutes reading about grammar on Wikipedia left
you with less than perfect
understanding of grammar. Many people have devoted their whole lives to
it. A few years
studying their works and you might begin to get a glimmer.:)

David