POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No country for old men Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  No country for old men (Message 21 to 30 of 31)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: No country for old men
Date: 15 Aug 2009 06:12:40
Message: <qf2d85d8llq927v2gdr93fav19cm93u054@4ax.com>
On 15 Aug 2009 05:03:00 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>  Hmm, I didn't say I find it difficult to follow. I just said I can hear
>the difference between his current American accent and his old British
>accent.

OK, that's good.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 16 Aug 2009 12:00:00
Message: <web.4a882c774ce693ed2d5649c20@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 05:41:12 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >Then I drove down to the English Midlands, and at some point had to ask
> >for directions late at night. I stopped and asked some bloke that
> >happened to be there. He told me, and I nodded and thanked him politely.
> >
> >Then I drove further down the road to ask someone else... >_<
>
> Scots is a Germanic language and if you have a noticeable German accent the
> people will speak slowly. Which is more than can be said of a lot of people in
> the midlands (Bill excepted, I'm sure :). They make no allowances for outsiders.

Well actually if you'd asked me for directions you'd hear a generic southern,
possibly south london accent - I don't originate from these parts!

I think a lot of the difficulty with understanding brits (I'm sure this holds
true in other languages too) is the huge variation in vernacular and idiom.
Rhyming slang in particular, a great deal of which has been absorbed into
standard english without many people noticing - there's a brilliant and
hilarious scene in Guy Ritchie's 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' where a
minor character relates a story using well over 50% cockney rhyming slang. Even
the english versions of the film subtitled that scene!

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:57:43 EDT, "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>Well actually if you'd asked me for directions you'd hear a generic southern,
>possibly south london accent - I don't originate from these parts!

Phew! :)

>I think a lot of the difficulty with understanding brits (I'm sure this holds
>true in other languages too) is the huge variation in vernacular and idiom.

It is strange going abroad to English speaking countries who have their own
idioms. In Nigeria I spent ages greeting people with "Howdy" when actually they
were saying "How day" or "How are they" meaning "how are your family?" a
traditional greeting. Or nearer home in Aberdeen where they say "Fit like ma
loon". In Glasgow we say "no bad" when we mean it's good.

>Rhyming slang in particular, a great deal of which has been absorbed into
>standard english without many people noticing - there's a brilliant and
>hilarious scene in Guy Ritchie's 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' where a
>minor character relates a story using well over 50% cockney rhyming slang. Even
>the english versions of the film subtitled that scene!

Cockney rhyming slang is beyond the pale (the English controlled parts of
Ireland in the 15th Cent.) China.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 16 Aug 2009 17:04:10
Message: <4a88744a@news.povray.org>
On 08/16/09 12:31, Stephen wrote:
> It is strange going abroad to English speaking countries who have their own
> idioms. In Nigeria I spent ages greeting people with "Howdy" when actually they

	Freeman Dyson wrote in a recent article about a Russian advisor of his
at university:

"Although I was only seventeen years old and Besicovitch was already a
famous professor, he gave me a great deal of his time and attention, and
we became life-long friends. He set the style in which I began to work
and think about mathematics. He gave wonderful lectures on
measure-theory and integration, smiling amiably when we laughed at his
glorious abuse of the English language. I remember only one occasion
when he was annoyed by our laughter. He remained silent for a while and
then said, 'Gentlemen. Fifty million English speak English you
speak. Hundred and fifty million Rus- sians speak English I speak.'"

--
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any
difference. - Steven Wright

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Aug 2009 17:21:24
Message: <i1ug85lubjgdo9p4vp7s4a5eg42aampa3c@4ax.com>
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:04:13 -0500, Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:

>"Although I was only seventeen

I'm not sure that I follow you.
BTW I was not laughing at Nigerians I was amused at my own misunderstanding.
You understand me mon?
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2009 23:43:04
Message: <4a88d1c8$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> (Usually it's due to a poor job mixing sound levels, as the dialog will
> be quite low while the music / sound effects will be incredibly loud).

That might be your sound system. Check that you don't have 5.1 turned on
with two speakers, or vice versa. Usually the voices are mixed for the
center channel, and if you're missing the center speaker it sounds muddled
like that.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2009 23:47:01
Message: <4a88d2b5$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Ef5Aob4cE

From: Chambers
Date: 17 Aug 2009 00:00:41
Message: <4a88d5e9$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> (Usually it's due to a poor job mixing sound levels, as the dialog
>> will be quite low while the music / sound effects will be incredibly
>> loud).
>
> That might be your sound system. Check that you don't have 5.1 turned on
> with two speakers, or vice versa. Usually the voices are mixed for the
> center channel, and if you're missing the center speaker it sounds
> muddled like that.

Hmm... that would make sense.  I guess a more permanent solution would
be to fork out for a surround sound system, of course :)  Unfortunately,
it's going to be a while before I can do that, so I'll try setting it to
stereo instead and see if that helps.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 17 Aug 2009 07:06:50
Message: <4a8939ca$1@news.povray.org>
>  However, in practice it seems that the difference between an average
> British accent and an average American accent is way subtler and much more
> indistinguishable, at least to me.

The most universal difference I've come across is how "t" is pronounced.  In
America it seems nobody actually pronounces it as a "t" but more of a soft
"d" sound.  To me, an American who says "Dakota" sounds pretty much the same
as "Dakoda", in an average British English accent they are completely
different sounds.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 17 Aug 2009 07:30:00
Message: <web.4a893e344ce693ed6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >  However, in practice it seems that the difference between an average
> > British accent and an average American accent is way subtler and much more
> > indistinguishable, at least to me.
>
> The most universal difference I've come across is how "t" is pronounced.  In
> America it seems nobody actually pronounces it as a "t" but more of a soft
> "d" sound.  To me, an American who says "Dakota" sounds pretty much the same
> as "Dakoda", in an average British English accent they are completely
> different sounds.

Indeed, many southern english accents wouldn't pronounce the 't' at all...! I
bet that's a real pain for non-brits.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>