POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No country for old men : Re: No country for old men Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No country for old men
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 16 Aug 2009 17:04:10
Message: <4a88744a@news.povray.org>
On 08/16/09 12:31, Stephen wrote:
> It is strange going abroad to English speaking countries who have their own
> idioms. In Nigeria I spent ages greeting people with "Howdy" when actually they

	Freeman Dyson wrote in a recent article about a Russian advisor of his
at university:

"Although I was only seventeen years old and Besicovitch was already a
famous professor, he gave me a great deal of his time and attention, and
we became life-long friends. He set the style in which I began to work
and think about mathematics. He gave wonderful lectures on
measure-theory and integration, smiling amiably when we laughed at his
glorious abuse of the English language. I remember only one occasion
when he was annoyed by our laughter. He remained silent for a while and
then said, 'Gentlemen. Fifty million English speak English you
speak. Hundred and fifty million Rus- sians speak English I speak.'"

--
I'm addicted to placebos. I'd give them up, but it wouldn't make any
difference. - Steven Wright