POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No country for old men : Re: No country for old men Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No country for old men
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Aug 2009 13:32:02
Message: <k9fg85hb51e8te0s8da5i4d4m8pu2h07k9@4ax.com>
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:57:43 EDT, "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>Well actually if you'd asked me for directions you'd hear a generic southern,
>possibly south london accent - I don't originate from these parts!

Phew! :)

>I think a lot of the difficulty with understanding brits (I'm sure this holds
>true in other languages too) is the huge variation in vernacular and idiom.

It is strange going abroad to English speaking countries who have their own
idioms. In Nigeria I spent ages greeting people with "Howdy" when actually they
were saying "How day" or "How are they" meaning "how are your family?" a
traditional greeting. Or nearer home in Aberdeen where they say "Fit like ma
loon". In Glasgow we say "no bad" when we mean it's good.

>Rhyming slang in particular, a great deal of which has been absorbed into
>standard english without many people noticing - there's a brilliant and
>hilarious scene in Guy Ritchie's 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' where a
>minor character relates a story using well over 50% cockney rhyming slang. Even
>the english versions of the film subtitled that scene!

Cockney rhyming slang is beyond the pale (the English controlled parts of
Ireland in the 15th Cent.) China.
--

Regards
     Stephen