POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  New Computer (Message 61 to 70 of 79)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: New Computer
Date: 16 Aug 2009 06:18:30
Message: <56nf85pfp86tgoarc1ke3dkhnutq48pe6m@4ax.com>
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:16:51 +0100, Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>OOC, exactly how much space do you recon it would take to build 64KB out
>of discrete NAND gates?

For memory you could use a D type flip-flop which can be made using 4 NAND gates
and an inverting gate. It would be better to use a Master-slave D type flip-flop
which would double the components. So for each *bit* of memory you would need 2
X 7400s and 1/3 X 7404. or a 7474 or a 7479.

What size of word are you thinking of? IIRC the typical power consumption of TTL
is about 250 ma. You will need a robust power supply.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> OOC, exactly how much space do you recon it would take to build 64KB out
>> of discrete NAND gates?
>
> For memory you could use a D type flip-flop which can be made using 4 NAND gates
> and an inverting gate. It would be better to use a Master-slave D type flip-flop
> which would double the components. So for each *bit* of memory you would need 2
> X 7400s and 1/3 X 7404. or a 7474 or a 7479.
>
> What size of word are you thinking of? IIRC the typical power consumption of TTL
> is about 250 ma. You will need a robust power supply.

Of course, I have no serious *intention* of making more than about a
dozen bytes of RAM using only NAND gates. ;-) But I'm aware that way
back in prehistoric times, they used to do it this way.

No wonder computers cost more that housing estates - they were *bigger*
than housing estates! :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/